The Lifeguard by Deborah Blumenthal

Saturday, November 24, 2012
Title: The Lifeguard
Author: Deborah Blumenthal
Series: none
Publisher: Albert Whitman & Company
Date: March 1st 2012
Pages: 277
ISBN: 9780807545355
Source: gift
Purchase: The Lifeguard
It's an unsettled summer for Sirena. Back in Texas, her family's splitting apart, but here in Rhode Island, at the cottage of her free-spirited aunt, it's a different world. There are long days at the beach and intriguing encounters with him. Pilot. He's the lifeguard with shamanic skills. He both saves her and makes her feel lost at sea. Sirena explores her obsession with Pilot and discovers his mysterious--almost magical--gifts.

My Review
With the weather turning cold here in KY, I needed to read something with warmer weather. I fell in love with the cover of this one, and knew it would be a perfect read.

At first I couldn't stand Sirena, she seemed whiny to me. I understand that she is 17, and her parents are getting divorced. But really, who would pass up a summer at the beach for a summer at camp? I would have loved to head to the beach to stay with my aunt instead of some camp when I was that age.
Sirena meets Pilot, the lifeguard pretty early on in the book, though she doesn't learn his name for some time. She of course develops a crush on the god-like lifeguard. Pilot is kind of stand offish, or so it seems to Sirena, kinda hot and cold really. Sirena grows over the summer and we learn a little more about Pilot towards the end of the book and I began to understand him just a little more.
The ending was very anti-climatic for me, I wish there had been something more, though I did love the ending line!

Rating SystemRating SystemRating SystemRating System

1 comments :

Post a Comment