While He Was Away by Karen Schreck #review

Wednesday, July 17, 2013
Title: While He Was Away
Author:  Karen Schreck
Series:
Date:  May 1st 2012
Publisher:  Sourcebooks Fire
Pages:  249
ISBN:  9781402264023
Source: Gift
Purchase: While He Was Away

One year--he'll be gone for one year and then we'll be together again and everything will be back to the way it should be. The day David left, I felt like my heart was breaking. Sure, any long-distance relationship is tough, but David was going to war--to fight, to protect, to put his life in danger. We can get through this, though. We'll talk, we'll email, we won't let anything come between us. I can be an army girlfriend for one year. But will my sweet, soulful, funny David be the same person when he comes home? Will I? And what if he doesn't come home at all?... "A tender and honest examination of love, longing, and loyalty in the face of modern war."--Laura Ruby, author of Bad Apple "While He Was Away is a wonderful love story with writing that is skillful and true."--Amy Timberlake, author of That Girl Lucy Moon


My Thoughts:
I received this book from a friend of mine last week. Her boyfriend had just deployed and while I haven't been an Army Girlfriend for more than 6 years she thought I might like it. 
For a young adult book this one wasn't as drama ridden or fluffy as I would normally expect. The subject is one that many are finding themselves a part of, and even if you aren't an army anything, you can relate to Penna and the anxiety she goes through over David being gone. Add in Linda, Penna's mother and all the bad history with her family and you have enough of a side story to keep you interested. 
I loved every page of this book and couldn't put it down. Though I wish that things had been better resolved between Penna and David by the end of the book, I like that things were left the way they were, now I can make up my own story for the characters!


My Rating: 

0 comments :

Post a Comment